Philipp Reichmuth wrote:

> Would it seem a good idea to merge the CJK patch for support of
> multibyte character sets with the main trunk sometime in the near
> future (such as for 1.3)?

No.  The CJK patch is not something we want to see merged with its
current status, and xforms-0.9999 is not something CJK users
feel comfortable.

In xforms-0.9999, the input context is private to the toolkit
so that application programs cannot have an access.  Which means
the input method style is fixed to XIMPreeditNothing|XIMStatusNothing
so that CJK inputs from keyboard to LyX circumvents through another
window, which really is a pain especially your window manager
intervene with focus changes.  On the other hand, xforms-0.9999 use
XDrawString() for drawing text.  LyX uses xforms method to draw
text in menus and dialogs.  So this must be rewritten with
XmbDrawString() and co.  In that case, since XFontSet unlike
XFontStruct is not a property of the graphic context, the toolkit
must keep track of the fonts in use.
I am going to submit a patch for xforms when I can find a time, but
on the second thought, an OS/2 support patch I sent a year and a half
ago was not been incorporated in xforms-0.9999

Now the CJK patch is completely locale based and use Xmb** functions
to draw CJK text on the main LyX window.  Considering that the
multi-locale support in X is extremely fragile, the multilingual
document support would have to be dropped if we were to merge CJK.
Here, unicode based text drawing must be implemented and LyX must
take care of certain amount of locale stuffs.

> Moreover, merging it in would be a good step towards Unicode/Omega support.

Notice Omega, both in its core engine and PostScript driver does not
support Unicode fonts at all.  It is their design decision not to
support any fonts which contains more than 256 glyphs.