Lars> We are not using those compilers to tune the binary size of lyx.
Lars> That is just as using a lyx compiled without optimization for
Lars> profiling.

I do not think most people use gcc 3.x to compile lyx. And mind you,
the people wit `older' compilers are also the people who have older
hardware and would appreciate a small binary. And I am talking +50%
increase here, not a small drift.

You references compilers are (1) gcc 3.1 which was released a couple
weeks ago and (2) gcc 3.2 which is not released. Unless you plan lyx
1.3.0 to be available in more than one year, this is not reasonable.