Angus Leeming <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> You'll also need to grab a copy of preview-latex. I grabbed the most recent
> stable version, preview-latex-0.7.2b.tar.gz from
>       http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/preview-latex
>
> Actually, you'll need just the preview.sty .def and .cfg files that are
> generated by
>       tar xvzf preview-latex-0.7.2b.tar.gz
>       cd preview-latex-0.7.2b/latex
>       follow the instructions in README-preview
> Don't forget to install them someplace LaTeX can find them and remember to
> run texhash or equivalent.

Note that _this_ subset can be had from
CTAN:macros/latex/contrib/supported/preview
where CTAN is your favorite CTAN mirror (try finger [EMAIL PROTECTED]
if you do not know about CTAN).

No need to get the complete preview-latex stuff (unless you are
curious).

> Incidentally, if you load a document with LOTS of equations, don't expect to
> see anything soon. We only load the images into LyX once gs has finished
> generating ALL the bitmap files.
>
> I've just tried with a Thesis containing 617 equations. It took gs
> about 5 mins to do the work. Thereafter LyX freezes until all these
> images are loaded up into memory.

That's not good.

> I think we'll have to do something about that. Presumably the
> elegant solution of loading an image file as it is created might
> aleviate this problem somewhat.

That's not a good solution.  The good solution would be to load only
those images that actually appear on-screen.  Often in a single
editing session, you will not even be looking at most of the
document.  No need to be loading the stuff into memory in the first
place, then.

And it sounds like thinking about some sort of persistency would be
good.  If you create a temporary directory with a name deriving from
the main document, and you take some sort of basic timestamps from
the document, it should be possible when restarting LyX to know
whether one can keep the current previews or should regenerate.

Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]