On Sat, Sep 28, 2002 at 08:56:18PM +0300, Dekel Tsur wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 26, 2002 at 11:58:41AM -0400, Dr. Richard E. Hawkins wrote:
> > I've seen a few varieties of this--the depth cascades rightward instead
> > of coming back on old files.  I've attached a file that does this.

> Where is the file?

ack.  Still not quite used to mutt . . .

Here's one htat does it:

--
Richard E. Hawkins, Asst. Prof. of Economics    /"\   ASCII ribbon campaign
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  Smeal 178  (814) 375-4700      \ /   against HTML mail
These opinions will not be those of              X    and postings.
Penn State until it pays my retainer.           / \
#LyX 1.1 created this file. For more info see http://www.lyx.org/
\lyxformat 2.15
\textclass article
\language default
\inputencoding default
\fontscheme default
\graphics default
\paperfontsize default
\spacing single
\papersize Default
\paperpackage a4
\use_geometry 1
\use_amsmath 0
\paperorientation portrait
\leftmargin 1in
\topmargin 1in
\rightmargin 1in
\bottommargin 1in
\secnumdepth 3
\tocdepth 3
\paragraph_separation indent
\defskip medskip
\quotes_language english
\quotes_times 2
\papercolumns 1
\papersides 1
\paperpagestyle default

\layout Title

Homework 5
\layout Date

Fall 2000
\layout Author

Prof.
 Richard Hawkins, Microeconomics
\layout Standard

Turn in this homework, and also Exercise 10 from the book.
\layout Enumerate

Price elasticity of demand is useful because it measures __________ responsivene
ss to changes in __________.
\layout Enumerate

\begin_inset Quotes eld
\end_inset

Less elastic
\begin_inset Quotes erd
\end_inset

 means
\begin_deeper
\layout Enumerate

unchanging
\layout Enumerate

less desirable
\layout Enumerate

more desirable
\layout Enumerate

less responsive
\layout Enumerate

more responsive
\end_deeper
\layout Enumerate

The price elasticity of demand measures
\layout Enumerate

If something is more elastic, it suggests that (as compared to something
 less elastic with the same underlying variable)
\layout Enumerate

Does the price elasticity of demand usually vary as we move along the demand
 curve? How?
\begin_deeper
\layout Standard

For the folllowing questions 6 through 16, assume that we have made the
 following initial observations.
\layout Standard
\added_space_top 0.3cm \added_space_bottom 0.3cm \align center \LyXTable
multicol5
4 3 0 0 -1 -1 -1 -1
1 1 0 0
1 0 0 0
1 0 0 0
1 1 0 0
2 1 0 "" ""
4 1 0 "" ""
4 1 1 "" ""
0 8 1 0 0 0 0 "" ""
0 8 1 0 0 0 0 "" ""
0 8 1 0 0 0 0 "" ""
0 2 1 0 0 0 0 "" ""
0 4 1 0 0 0 0 "" ""
0 4 1 0 0 0 0 "" ""
0 8 1 0 0 0 0 "" ""
0 8 1 0 0 0 0 "" ""
0 8 1 0 0 0 0 "" ""
0 8 1 0 0 0 0 "" ""
0 8 1 0 0 0 0 "" ""
0 8 1 0 0 0 0 "" ""

Good
\newline
Price
\newline
Quantity Demanded
\newline
Ice Cream
\newline
$1.60
\newline
40
\newline
Cherries
\newline
$.20
\newline
30
\newline
Frozen Yogurt
\newline
$1.00
\newline
15
\layout Standard

Suppose that we then observe that the price of ice cream increases to $1.76,
 and quantity demanded decreases to 38.
 For the purposes of calculating elasticity,
\end_deeper
\layout Enumerate

Price is
\layout Enumerate

Quantity is
\layout Enumerate

The change in price is
\layout Enumerate

The change in quantity is
\layout Enumerate

The price elasticity of demand is (show your work)
\begin_deeper
\layout LaTeX

\backslash
vspace{2in}
\end_deeper
\layout Enumerate

Characerize this demand (i.e., elastic, perfectly inelastic, etc.)
\layout Enumerate

How does the change affect the seller's revenue?
\begin_deeper
\layout Standard

For questions
\begin_inset LatexCommand \ref{beginCherries}

\end_inset

-
\begin_inset LatexCommand \ref{endCherries}

\end_inset

, suppose that when the price of cherries changes to $.24, the quantity demanded
 of ice cream at the original price drops to 36.

\end_deeper
\layout Enumerate

\begin_inset LatexCommand \label{beginCherries}

\end_inset

This suggests that cherries and ice cream are
\begin_deeper
\layout Enumerate

substitutes
\layout Enumerate

complements
\layout Enumerate

inferior goods
\layout Enumerate

normal goods
\layout Enumerate

superior goods
\end_deeper
\layout Enumerate

The relevant elasticicty would be
\begin_deeper
\layout Enumerate

price elasticity of demand
\layout Enumerate

income elasticity of demand
\layout Enumerate

cross price elasticty
\layout Enumerate

price elasticity of supply
\layout Enumerate

cherry elasticity of ice cream
\end_deeper
\layout Enumerate

\begin_inset LatexCommand \label{endCherries}

\end_inset

Calculate the elasticity.
\begin_deeper
\layout LaTeX

\backslash
vspace{2in}
\end_deeper
\layout Enumerate

If the price of frozen yogurt changed, and we measured the relevant elasticity
 for the consumption of ice cream, which of the following could possibly
 be the measured elasticity?
\begin_deeper
\layout Enumerate

-3
\layout Enumerate

-1
\layout Enumerate

-.75
\layout Enumerate

0
\layout Enumerate

.5
\end_deeper
\layout Enumerate

Which of the following will
\emph on
not
\emph default
 result in an increased elasticity?
\begin_deeper
\layout Enumerate

share of income spent on the item increases
\layout Enumerate

a longer time period is considered
\layout Enumerate

more close substitutes exist
\layout Enumerate

we use a broader definition of the good
\end_deeper
\layout Enumerate

Elasticity tends to change over time because
\layout Enumerate

Unit-elastic price elasticity of demand means that
\layout Enumerate

If a 7% increase in income causes a 10% increase in quantity for some good,
 what kind of good is it (normal or inferior), and what kind of elasticity
 of demand does it have?
\layout Enumerate

If a 7% increase in income causes a 5% decrease in quantity for some good,
 characterize it as abofe
\layout Enumerate

As we consider increasingly longer periods of time, what happens to the
 elasticity of supply, and the slope of the supply curve?
\layout Enumerate

A perfectly elastic demand curve has what slope?
\layout Enumerate

What kind of elasticity are we likely to see for demand of an addictive
 product such as tobacco?
\the_end