On Friday 29 November 2002 4:03 pm, Juergen Spitzmueller wrote:
> Angus Leeming wrote:
> > Presumably the returned value is different in these two cases. Could
> > you investigate and tell me?
>
> I really have no idea and found no information.

Sure you have.
* Dump the LaTeX output from your LyX file. Let's call it juergen.tex

* Run latex on it once to generate a .aux file containing the citations in
the document:
        $ latex juergen

* Run bibtex on this aux file and query the return value:
        $ bibtex juergen; echo Exit status =$?

I'm expecting the printed value to be non-zero because your .bst file is
nasty and BibTeX will complain. Could you tell me what value it returns.

I can easily get BibTeX to /fail totally/ myself ;-)

Angus

For example, here I have a BibTeX file that generates warnings but still
returns an exit status of zero (success):
aleem@pneumon:BibTeX1-> bibtex angus_bibentry; echo Exit status = $?
This is BibTeX, Version 0.99c (Web2C 7.3.1)
The top-level auxiliary file: angus_bibentry.aux
The style file: plainnat.bst
Database file #1: /usr/users/aleem/docs/references.bib
Warning--can't use both author and editor fields in Pedley:etal77
Warning--there's a number but no series in Peraire:etal90
Warning--can't use both author and editor fields in Peraire:etal99
Warning--there's a number but no series in Watterson94
(There were 4 warnings)
Exit status = 0