Christian> Hi I've finally decided to try and compile the cvs
Christian> version... and after struggling with xforms I seem to have
Christian> gotten past that but get this strange error message when
Christian> running:

Christian> Waiting for cpp_regex_traits.o.lock to be removed

I have the same problem on tru64 unix, unless I configure with
--disable-libtool-lock.

Actually, I looked at it a little and think this is a stupid bug in
libtool.m4. This happens because libtool.m4 thinks that the compiler
cannot handle -c and -o simultaneously. Why? Because it tries to
compile
int main(){
  int some_variable = 0;
}
and thinks there is a problem when a warning is issued. Here the
warning is of course that the variable is not used.

Then it tries to do some tricky locking that does not work and
everything goes down the drain.

Note that NEWS for libtool 1.4.3 says:
* srcdir != builddir builds with Automake 1.5 work correctly.

So maybe an upgrade will help.