On Sat, 2002-12-28 at 07:23, Bruce Sass wrote:

> > > Frankly, I consider it a hack.
>
> ya, also, "tiny" and "large" are relative
>
> I think the gain would depend on the situation; negative in the case
> of nothing but small live files, huge for archives of large files.
> Is one group more important than the other?

No. But how many "small" LyX files have you seen lately? =)

> > Why? Are we concerned with the size of a gzipped file or the original??
> >
> > What is the goal?
> >
> > The representation of the user's data is the goal, as I see it.

> Making compressed the default is raising the bar wrt systems LyX is
> usable with, for no clear benefit.  An old slow box can probably get a
> new HD, cheap, but it is a lot tougher to cope with running out of CPU
> cycles, memory, or patience...

I never said make it the *only* choice, just the default. Those that
have slow boxes will most probably be clever enough to deselect a
checkbox (or change the extension).

> I would love to see LyX transparently handle *.lyx.{gz,bz2,zip,?} or
> *.ly{g,b,z,?} (respectively), but it should be up to the user to
> determine what the default behaviour will be.

Of course.

> Maybe system and user preference options like `default compression
> method', `enable automatic (re)compression', `compressed file suffix
> style (force it or not)', ..., along with a `save as compressed' menu
> item or [none, gzip, bzip, zip, ?], etc. radio buttons in a `save
> file' dialog, eh.

Too many options bamboozle newbies. I know ;) Most people won't have an
issue with compressing new files, I expect. Many won't even know the
difference.

> - Bruce

Have fun,
Darren