In fact, the problem exists only with the Qt front-end.  It seems (-dbg 512)
that the font encoding is guessed from the language value and that the ones
associated with "Français" are either iso8859-1 and iso10646-1.  I have added
the relevant encoding variables in the preferences but it seems they are not used.

regards,

--Nabil