On Wednesday 05 February 2003 13:18, Angus Leeming wrote:
> José, two questions:
>
> lyxconvert_215.py converts from 215 format to 216 format, correct?

  Yes, at least that was my purpose. ;-)

> That being the case, I'm a bit confused by the codes in lyxconvert_215.py
> which talks about:
> # Update from tabular format 4 to 5 if necessary

  Do you want to hear the whole truth? There isn't any 215 format, that is a
myth. ;-)

  Now serious (for those humour impaired). :-)

  The lyx file format has been a huge mess until recently, when we have
started documenting our changes. We even had a file format change inside a
stable version (bug fix). There were some files in the documentation with
version 217 although there isn't any stable version able to write it.

  Those are just some examples of this case.

  There are lots of lessons to be learned from previous experience, so I
propose to increment the number file format every time that we make a change.

  The alternative that table format implements is to have its own internal
number. But this is not needed most of the time.

  Or we could have a major and minor file format version number. What do you
(all of you, yes) think?

  I think that now is the right time to discuss this as we are soon entering a
new development cycle.

> and in reLyX which outputs
> \LyXTable
> multicol5

> Does this mean that reLyX is already outputting tables in 216 format?

  Nope, that is 215 format. But in reality 215 means several things, that is
why we need to guess which one we are using. And that is also what I want to
avoid.

--
José Abílio