On Fri, Feb 14, 2003 at 06:19:43PM +0100, Juergen Spitzmueller wrote:
> > 1. There are several example .bib files (e.g. test.bib, xampl.bib)
> > that should not be listed in the combox.
>
> Why not? Sometimes I use them for testing purposes (have a look at the new LGT
> ;), and I think they are useful for newbies (checking out bibtex).

The system .bib files I have are:
test.bib
xampl.bib (if you need a testing bib file you can use test.bib)
amsxport-options.bib (some options for amsxport.bst, not very useful)
mrabbrev.sty
plbib.bib (completely useless test file)

While test.bib and mrabbrev.sty are useful, the other are not, and clutter
the combox. They also confuse newbies.

> > 2. You should add a button for updating the database of bib files.
>
> Hmm, I just have dropped the update button for the bst list (which was not
> implemented in qt anyway). Don't you think "reconfigure LyX" will do?

Perhaps its enough.

> > Perhaps the interface should be like the one in the citation dialog, namely
> > using two QListBoxes (although some people might complain that this won't
> > allow them to type the text directly).
>
> Exactly. Typing in text directly is important. It is the only possibility to
> add a bibfile without path outside $BIBINPUTS (e.g. in the document
> directory). Also I don't want to blow up the dialog too much (its size)

The current behavior is quite confusing, and I don't care much about the
dialog size.
If you want to keep the option to enter free text, you can add a button for
it (BTW, you cannot use a .bib file in the document dir by entering its name,
as LyX runs bibtex in the temp dir).