On Tuesday 11 March 2003 10:07 am, Andre Poenitz wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 11, 2003 at 09:48:01AM +0000, Angus Leeming wrote:
> > > The problem here is that we use direct access from the GUI to the
> > > kernel to extract information instead of using the 'pipe interface'.
> > > One reason for that is, of course, that our current 'pipe interface'
> > > does not allow to retrieve things (dispatch only returns different
> > > levels of success, no data). I think this is a fundamental flaw, and
> > > we've hit that problem before e.g. when talking about getStatus()...
> >
> > No we don't. We pass a string that is used to populate a frontend
> > variable.
>
> Ok, so I did not understand that. The string interface is all I want.
> I'll have a look again later.

The current comment to 'show' in frontends/Dialogs.h is a little out of date.
I'm going to modify it so:

        /** \param name == "bibtex", "citation" etc; an identifier used to
            launch a particular dialog.
            \param data is a string representation of the Inset contents.
            It is often little more than the output from Inset::write.
            It is passed to, and parsed by, the frontend dialog.
            \param inset is _not_ passed to the frontend dialog.
            It is stored internally and used by the kernel to ascertain
            what to do with the FuncRequest dispatched from the frontend
            dialog on 'Apply'; should it be used to create a new inset at
            the current cursor position or modify an existing, 'open' inset?
         */
        void show(string const & name, string const & data, InsetBase * inset);

Angus