On Tue, 2003-03-18 at 01:55, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:
> Darren> What I suggest is that the lyx-devel repository come with
> Darren> either a) an extension to the makefile which adds relative
> Darren> symlinks as appropriate, or b) some symlinks to the current
> Darren> lyxdoc contents.
>
> What about something simpler: have a variable LYX_DOCDIR_14x that can
> point to the documentation files.

That's also pretty clever. But I opted for symlinks since that's what
I've always done (in the absence of a new variable).

> However, doing
> cd .lyx/doc
> ln -s <lyxdoc-dir>/*.lyx .

Yeah that's the first thing I tried. But I saw all those other languages
and thought "what if I didn't want English? LyX will still use English!"

one big fat "D'oh!"

> Darren> It asks for a list of language codes in order of preference,
> Darren> then scans the lyxdoc dir for files matching those languages,
> Darren> adding symlinks as appropriate. If the most preferred language
> Darren> is missing a doc file, the next preferred is used, etc. Which
> Darren> would be really nice to call from the makefile of the cvs
> Darren> versions of LyX. Only problem is I have /bin/sh symlinked to
> Darren> /bin/bash and I don't know if it's an entirely legal sh
> Darren> script.
>
> The choice of language is already handled if you set LANG to something
> reasonable. Why re-do it?

see above "D'oh!"

I was so interested in whether I could do it, I didn't check if I needed
to ;)

> Darren> If you assume that everyone wants English docs to be the
> Darren> default then just adding symlinks to the repository would be
> Darren> OK (assuming CVS handles symlinks, I know it's broken in lots
> Darren> of ways).
>
> If LANG==fr, then fr_UserGuide will be automatically loaded by LyX
> instead of UserGuide.lyx.

OK, so just add a cp -s to the makefile? It should for the most part be
safe to assume the docs are checked out next to the sources, or if
really adventurous add a check for the docs in the configure script.

> JMarc

Darren

PS: I tried ;)