On Mon, Jun 02, 2003 at 04:42:40PM +0100, Angus Leeming wrote:
> André,
>
> how do I enter this in mathed:
>
> \[ \phi =\left{
>         \begin{array}{ll}
>                 y & \mbox{if $x\leq l/2$} \\
>                 z+y & \mbox{otherwise}
>         \end{array}
>         \right. \]

Using 'cases' would get you the braces for free...

<C-S-M> \ p h i = \ c a s e s <space>

<C-Return> for the second line, <C-M> for the '\mbox' (this will get you a
\textrm, but that's just fine.

> I have _no idea_ how do it it the "proper" way within mathed itself.

Me neither.

> (Of course, I know that I can type it outside of mathed, copy it into
> the copy buffer and then paste with the middle mouse button, but
> somehow that isn't very satisfying ;-)

*shrug*

I don't see anything wrong with it except that marking it an pressing <C-m>
does the same job without using the mouse.

Andre'

--
Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have,
nor do they deserve, either one.     (T. Jefferson or B. Franklin or both...)