On Fri, Jul 04, 2003 at 12:49:39PM +0200, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:

> Andre> Am I correct in assuming that the 'problem' is the
> Andre> _distribution_ of the pre-compiled binary but not creating and
> Andre> using such a thing privately?
>
> Andre> If not, ignore the rest of this post.
>
> I am not sure that one is allowed to distribute under the GPL code
> that only works with a non-gpl library. But I do not have any link to
> justify this.

Even if so, this would not be a problem. LyX still works with xforms,
doesn't it. In this case the Qt code may be dead ballast, but nobody
forbids me to write 'void foo() {} int main() {}'  which happens to contain
unused code and links against virtual any non-free library out there.

> I do not know whether trolltech has a faq on Qt vs. GPL.

In any case, the GPL is about distribution, not usage. So if I opt for
'let the user do it' everything is fine.

Andre'

--
Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have,
nor do they deserve, either one.     (T. Jefferson or B. Franklin or both...)