Michael Schmitt wrote:
> I am a bit confused. I thought we agreed that each branch/note inset
> should have two properties that correspond to I. and II. above. That
> means, in the document dialog, you can both activate/deactive an inset
> _and_ define its position (or, more general, its appearance) at the same
> time.

I can't follow you. The foundations of my comment is the first version of
Martins patch, applied here. I cannot see such an approach there.

> I see that your proposal is a bit safer but it also contradicts my idea
> to unify insets. IMHO there should be only one kind of "note" (aka
> "branch") inset that can be displayed in different ways ("footnote",
> "inline", and "margin note").

I don't think that an "inset for all uses" is a worthy goal. An annotation and
a branch is functionally a totally different thing, as Lgb/Martin pointed out
in another mail. A branch is not a note, it's just the possibility to print
out some text in a specific context or not. It can contain an annotation,
though, as it can contain a quotation, an image, a tabular, a child document
an so on. The fact that notes are (normally) also invisible in the printed
text has nothing to do with that.
Furthermore, annotations (comment, note, greyedout) are, IMHO, different from
margin notes and footnotes too. Basically, annotations are text elements that
do not belong to the main text. It's a metatext that should remain on the
editor-level and normally does not get printed in the final output (greyedout
is a draft tool). Margins and footnotes belong to the document, it is
metatext too, but addressed to the reader. Technically, they are worlds apart
(because of different content possibilities, cf. latex commands vs.
environments). IMO this cannot be solved without some really nasty hacks
(converting all paragraphs to standard etc.).

I can understand that it might be useful sometimes to switch from a margin to
a footnote or vice versa, but that is yet another feature. And, seriously,
how often do you use this? If you want to switch a single case, copy and
paste is not too much work. Displaying all footnotes of a text as margin
notes looks like a poweruser feature to me. For the time being, it can be
archieved with a single
\renewcommand{\footnote}[1]{\marginpar{#1}}
in preamble.

Regards,
Juergen