On Thu, Jul 10, 2003 at 03:29:41PM +0100, John Levon wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 10, 2003 at 04:21:39PM +0200, Andre Poenitz wrote:
> > Now look at what is still to be done and try to figure out how far
> > we'd get during out lifetime if every single patch needs two weeks of
> > checking.
>
> Well, argument by exaggeration.
>
> I'm nervous about the current work because it is modifying unreliable
> core code that nobody understands, *and* the tree before the changes was
> in a very bad state as well. It's the combination of the two things, not
> either one...

Just in case you missed it: The reason of the work is exactly to put the
core in a state where it is understandable.

> What happens if we end up in a state where we have all the
> barely-reproducable bugs from the insettext work, *plus* all the still
> broken undo stuff ?

The same as happened with the Old New Kernel.

What happens if earth collides with a comet?

Andre'

--
Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have,
nor do they deserve, either one.     (T. Jefferson or B. Franklin or both...)