John Levon wrote:

> > | Possibly. What do others think ?
> >
> > Is a note the same as an annotation?
>
> In this context I would say so yes.
>
> > (and is the same dialog/menu-entry used for comment insert?)
>
> I think the analogy for all three types is that of the Post-it Note. And
> I consider Post-it notes to be annotations :)
I think of annotations as something pedantically added to a document, as
in an annotated bibliography or "The annotated version of ..." Note OTOH
is familar to me from lots of old software as something that will not
get printed.
Why use a long word when a short one does the job?
But maybe "Post-it Note" in place of just "Note" would be the best
description.

Cheers,
  Garst