On Tue, Jul 22, 2003 at 01:46:26PM +0100, Angus Leeming spake thusly:

> Martin Vermeer wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Jul 22, 2003 at 12:24:41PM +0100, Angus Leeming spake
> > thusly:

> >> Why not define logical colours "branch1", "branch2" etc which you
> >> save in the doc. Adding them to the LColor.h enum and LColor.C
> >> array of all such colours will automagically allow the user to
> >> specify their on-screen representation from the preferences dialog.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Angus
> >
> > Interesting idea. Hmmm. You mean that the choice_color widget would
> > present the names "branch1", "branch2" etc. to the user? A bit
> > prosaic.
>
> Maybe. Or maybe the dialog will simply inform the user that this
> newly defined branch will be presented in colour "branch5". If they
> aren't happy with the physical appearance, then they'll pop along to
> the preferences dialog and modify it.

No, I don't like this. The names are too prosaic.

> > My idea was to add to LColor a number of existing colours found in
> > rgb.txt, suitable as background colours under black text. These
> > would then be absolute, not logical. Is there really much sense in
> > allowing the user to redefine these? I mean, they don't "logically"
> > represent anything, the're just supposed to be all different.
>
> You use a pale background and black text. Someone with poor eyesight
> will use a dark background and pale text. Your sets of 'suitable'
> will differ.

Hmm, I see your point. What about then defining formal colours like
br_red, br_cyan, ... which are nevertheless redefinable in
Preferences? br_red is supposed to be a sort of red, but contrasting
with the text, whether black or white. Needs to be set up only once.

Martin