On Thu, Oct 16, 2003 at 03:30:24PM +0200, Andre Poenitz wrote:

> > A unicoded lyx would solve the latter nicely.
>
> What prevents us currently from going to unicode?

This is probably incomplete.

o moving chartype to the agreed upon (I think ?) 32-bit value
o deciding whether wstring is really suitable. This has all sorts
  of portability problems I think, but Lars is set on it. He may
  be right.
o the ability to read in and write out UTF-8 encoded .lyx files
o the ability to read in and write out .tex files correctly (we want
  to use omega or whatever it's called)
o lyx2lyx support for snooping on an old .lyx file's encoding and
  converting to/from utf8
o support for interaction with non-utf8 spellcheckers etc. (enchant
  may be the way forward here)
o providing QString<->unicodode convertor (not trivial if we use UTF-32
  internally)
o resolving Dekel's shaping and RTL work into the unicode world

This all adds up to quite a lot of work I think.

regards
john
--
Khendon's Law:
If the same point is made twice by the same person, the thread is over.