Alain> On Wed, 15 Oct 2003, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:
>> So the question is: ``do we really want to do that?''. What I mean
>> is that nobody has complained yet that we lack an option to set
>> alignment to default.
Alain> I should have complain, sorry ;-)

:)

Alain> At the user level, my slant is somewhat different. I can change
Alain> the layout of a whole block (even by mistake), then change my
Alain> mind and go back to the original. With your approach, this will
Alain> imply to set back each "specifically aligned " paragraph that
Alain> by chance were temporary assimilated to the layout.

Doesn't undo work for that?

Alain> So I need a way
Alain> -to make a persitent distinction between "I really want this
Alain> paragraph like this" and "ok, follows the layout".
Alain> - as a corrolary, one must be able to reset a paragraph to the
Alain> "ordinary" behavior, thus the UI changes.

Yes, I can see that. John, would you think that adding this 'default'
alignment specifier is a good idea UI-wise? It may be, after all...

>>  I am worried that adding this new 'default align' button will just
>> confuse the user and bring flexibility which is not realy needed.

Alain> The qt patch is perharps better to this respect than the xforms
Alain> one, as "default" is just one option of the choice instead of a
Alain> separate button. May be an xforms-fluent developper can change
Alain> that.

Unfortunately, I cannot test the patches currently, since I cannot
build :(

Alain> The problem is that there is much more in a layout than just
Alain> alignment stuff, and you may need one for each column of each
Alain> tabular !

Why not, after all... The tabular code could start from the
tableStyle() value and tweak it.

Alain> So you have to create a layout instance for each combination
Alain> you encounter (and at first I imagined to create it dynamicaly,
Alain> without requiring a Style entry) and manage it when moving the
Alain> tabular across environments.

Managing directly is alright. The Style entry is just to reduce
hardcoding and try to simplify some sgml stuff (if Jose' thinks it
would be useful, of course).

What do you mean by moving across environments? Copying a cell in a
column with different alignment?

Alain> This looked like a nightmare, thus my approach : <<let the
Alain> "default" be given by something else than the layout>> (which
Alain> is the purpose of the patch #2). But, for this, I need a
Alain> persistent meaning for "default".

Alain> Thank's a lot for your help. I'll we wait a little bit more
Alain> about comments before going further, as it seems clearly that
Alain> my approach is not so "innocent" that I imagined ;-).

We have to think, it seems. Unfortunately, I do not know the inner
workings of insettabular very well.

Andre', since you looked at that, what would be the right way to have
the column tell the cell what the default alignment is? Can we do that
through a LyXLayout, so that the paragraphs in a tabular work like
everything else?