Andre Poenitz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

| On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 06:46:32PM +0100, Lars Gullik Bjønnes wrote:
>> Andre Poenitz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>>
>> |    - three-box-drawing
>>
>> Do you _really_ need that...
>> This is just for very short phrases... one two words.
>
| If so, than probably not. But it would hamper its usability for
| paragraph styles.

>> | But with single-box-drawing UI would be awful.
>>
>> UI can be improved... does not have to be perfect from the beginning.
>
| Probably.
>
| But I still don't get the difference to either InsetEnvironment ("bigger
| things") or 'Font changes as insets' ("smaller things"), both of which
| do not seem to get much support...

The difference implementation wise might not be huge.

Just to have a short recap on character styles:

in latex we'd like to have

   "This \firstname{Lars Gullik} is my firstname."

And in docbook (xml):

    "This <firstname>Lars Gullik</firstname> is my firstname."

to work.

First we need something to hold the firstname in LyX. f.ex. an inset.
Could also be done by dynamic "font properties".

We also want the user to be able to set how this firstname should be
rendered, bold, smallcaps, italics, red etc., both on screen and on
typeset material.

Also we want to have the layout define this, but we also want the user
to be able to define this inside LyX. So we need to be able to store
them in .layout and in .lyx.
(and for docbook we probably want to disallow the user to define them
inside LyX).

This is a feature I (and I know Jose...) have been dreaming of for a
long, long period.

So if we could do this, without adding hacks to the core, and with out
having a horrendously bad (G)UI, I'll go for almost any solution.

--
        Lgb