There, I didn't think that it should be so hard.

Things I've changed:
1. stdmenus.ui now dispatches "dialog-show-new-inset vspace" rather than
"insert-vspace". LFUN_INSERT_VSPACE no longer exists.
Rationale: when I insert a vspace from the menu, I want the dialog to pop up
so that I can specify the size of the space. Only of 'Apply' is the inset
created.

2. InsetVSpace now has a mailer, InsetVSpaceMailer. Associated with this the
InsetVSpace(string const &) constructor is replaced with InsetVSpace(VSpace
const &) as that is what is stored internally. I haven't made the VSpace
space_ member private, but it should.

3. CommandVSpace: the mailer makes this class trivial. Note that dispatch
should post LFUN_INSERT_INSET rather than LFUN_PARA_APPLY or whatever it was.

4. FormVSpace: I got rid of the EnableWidget stuff. The choice still needs to
be filled.

5. Qt: I got rid of the VSpace stuff from the Paragraph dialog but have not
written QVSpace.

(6. In text3.C doInsertInset now takes a LyXText const &. I have no idea why
things were crashing before when calling this, but don't really care either.
The interface was incorrect. See 1 above.)

7. I note that on 'Apply' from the dialog, the inset is drawn partially
'hidden'...

HTH,
Angus