On Sun, Nov 30, 2003 at 02:35:31PM +0100, Juergen Spitzmueller spake thusly:

> Martin,
> I think we should add "Minipage" and "Parbox" to the box type lists instead of
> "frameless". If the user choses Minipage or Parbox, then the "has inner box"
> stuff should be completely disabled.

This is certainly possible and fairly straightforward to implement
(the last part is already there).  Only replace in ControlBox.C the
Frameless entry by Parbox and Minipage, and make the necessary
adaptations in FormBox.C (lines 56, 130 and 252, I think). insetbox
would even become a little simpler.

> Otherwise people will bug us because they do not find minipage anymore.

The question does arise though, if Minipage and Parbox, which are
latexicisms of the worst kind, are any better. Yes, old users familiar
with them will wonder (although even they would be hard pressed to
state the difference between them...), but 'naive' users will find
Frameless more graphic :-), I suspect.

Actually I want to put as little obfuscation as possible between the
user and what is happening at the LyX low level here. To mix in the
same pulldown (1) an esoteric distinction having to do with footnotes
IIRC, and (2) what the visible frame looks like, constitutes IMO just
such obfuscation.

So, I am not saying 'no', but this is the problem I have with this
idea. An IMO better compromise idea would be to provide separate,
explicit 'Insert Minipage' and 'Insert Parbox' menu entries. Or even
only 'Insert Minipage' to make the old guard happy.

> Regards,
> Jürgen.

- Martin