No matter what I do, I can't seem to have a citation reference in a footnote
inside a section heading. The citation reference in a footnote works fine
and the footnote (without a citation reference) in the section heading
also works fine.

Anyone have any clues?

The attached LyX file produces this LaTeX:

\section{NCI Billing Problem%
\footnote{Exercise 2a from \citet[pp. 10-11]{bennatan00:on_time_within_budget}%
}}

Which causes the following LaTeX error:

Runaway argument?
{\normalfont \Large \bfseries }{\write [EMAIL PROTECTED] {\string [EMAIL PROTECTED]
\ETC.
! Paragraph ended before [EMAIL PROTECTED] was complete.
<to be read again>
                   \par
l.54

I suspect you've forgotten a `}', causing me to apply this
control sequence to too much text. How can we recover?
My plan is to forget the whole thing and hope for the best.

                        ---Kayvan
--
Kayvan A. Sylvan          | Proud husband of       | Father to my kids:
Sylvan Associates, Inc.   | Laura Isabella Sylvan  | Katherine Yelena (8/8/89)
http://sylvan.com/~kayvan | "crown of her husband" | Robin Gregory (2/28/92)
#LyX 1.4.0cvs created this file. For more info see http://www.lyx.org/
\lyxformat 229
\textclass article
\begin_preamble
\usepackage[pdftex,pdftitle={Week One
Exercises},urlcolor=blue,citecolor=blue,linktocpage,letterpaper,colorlinks=true]{hyperref}
\usepackage{url}
%\renewcommand\textcolor{}
\lhead{\emph{Kayvan Sylvan} ---1/9/2004 --- Course TS4030}
\chead{}
\rhead{}
\renewcommand\headrulewidth{0pt}
\end_preamble
\language english
\inputencoding auto
\fontscheme pslatex
\graphics default
\paperfontsize 12
\spacing single
\papersize Default
\paperpackage a4
\use_geometry 1
\use_amsmath 1
\use_natbib 1
\use_numerical_citations 0
\paperorientation portrait
\leftmargin 1in
\topmargin 1in
\rightmargin 1in
\bottommargin 1in
\secnumdepth 3
\tocdepth 3
\paragraph_separation indent
\defskip medskip
\quotes_language english
\quotes_times 2
\papercolumns 1
\papersides 1
\paperpagestyle fancy
\tracking_changes 0
\end_header

\begin_layout Part*

Week One Exercises
\end_layout

\begin_layout Section

NCI Billing Problem
\begin_inset Foot
status collapsed

\begin_layout Standard

Exercise 2a from
\begin_inset LatexCommand \citet[pp. 10-11]{bennatan00:on_time_within_budget}

\end_inset

\end_layout

\end_inset

\end_layout

\begin_layout Section

Cable Company Billing System: 10 Most Critical Issues
\end_layout

\begin_layout Standard

\begin_inset Foot
status collapsed

\begin_layout Standard

Exercise 1 from
\begin_inset LatexCommand \citet[p. 34]{bennatan00:on_time_within_budget}

\end_inset

\end_layout

\end_inset

\end_layout

\begin_layout Section

Cable Company Billing System: Contingency Plans
\end_layout

\begin_layout Standard

\begin_inset Foot
status collapsed

\begin_layout Standard

Exercise 3 from
\begin_inset LatexCommand \citet[p. 34]{bennatan00:on_time_within_budget}

\end_inset

\end_layout

\end_inset

\end_layout

\begin_layout Standard

\begin_inset ERT
status collapsed

\begin_layout Standard

\backslash
clearpage
\backslash
phantomsection
\end_layout

\end_inset

\begin_inset LatexCommand \bibtex[bibtotoc,apalike]{refs}

\end_inset

\end_layout

\end_document