Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:
"Jean-Marc" == Jean-Marc Lasgouttes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

"Angus" == Angus Leeming <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Angus> Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:

But can this really happen, or is it just a theoretical question?

Angus> (Aside: as a mathematician, I though you found theory
Angus> important?)

Jean-Marc> Well as somebody who does modeling, I start by doing the
Jean-Marc> computations in an informal way, and if it leads me to some
Jean-Marc> interesting result, then I care about actually proving
Jean-Marc> things. This is probably analog to the 'premature
Jean-Marc> optimization' mantra for programming...

To be more precise, there are currently some bugs with for example dvi
or html export which can only be worked around by not using a tempdir.
So before forcing everyone to use a tempdir, I would like to
understand how are these things going to be handled. In particular, I
am not sure I understand what is the new philosophy for the include
inset.

I've had one problem that forced me to not use temp dirs:

Latex code (in ERT or in the preamble or in the preamble/textstyles
of a custom document layout) may use \input, \includegraphics, or
some other command that opens a user-provided file from the working directory
or from some subdirectory thereof.

The real-life example:  I wrote a textbook on algorithms, using a custom layout.
One of the paragraph types was "tip", which included an image of a little
lightbulb in the margin.  This was fetched from a subdirectory "graphichs"
under the working directory.  There where several other iamges in that
directory too, such as a chapter-page graphic.

I cannot see how lyx could possibly "know" how to bring along such
things into a tempdir.  And don't suggest absolute paths either,
the book was in a directory that different users nfs-mounted
in different places. (i.e. wherever they saw fit under
their own home directories).

Supporting this sort of thing is necessary.  I can of course change
they way I do my custom layouts and latex, but I know of no other way.
Having some way to specify in the .layout file that "I need
these subdirectories & files in the tempdir" would solve my problem.

Temp dirs are nice because they avoid a lot of cleaning up and cause less trouble when several users use the same working directory. Assuming
that generated files can be auto-deleted in a non-temp dir is probably
too dangerous. I'd like to use them - but I cannot currently.

Helge Hafting