Am Dienstag, 17. Februar 2004 18:09 schrieb Jean-Marc Lasgouttes:
> I am sorry I have not been more specific at the time.

Never mind, fortunately it does not change anything fundamental, at least I
hope so ;-)

> Georg> I thought that the "run in original dir" flag was used for html
> Georg> converters? I guess that if this flag is honoured correctly
> Georg> html export should also work with a temp dir, putting the
> Georg> generated files deliberately not in the tmp dir.
>
> It seems that the flag has been designed for html, but someone
> (Herbert?) at some time decided to remove the flag. Does this means
> that it had bad side-effects? I do not know. We should also check that
> originaldir still works.

It is still there, but I believe not fully functional.

> Basically, there are two approaches:
>
> - put everything in the master buffer temp dir
>
> - put each file in its own document temp dir, but use an absolute
>   file name to reference it (this is what insetgraphics does, I think)
>
> What you say is that the first approach avoids problems with dvi,
> right?

Yes, because we can use relative filenames. This makes it easy to copy the
dvi + graphics after the latex run. If the dvi would contain absolute
filenames as it is now, one would have to edit the dvi as Angus suggested.

> Another thing that you may want to consider is the get rid of the
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] hack and directly modify TEXINPUTS instead. Any file found
> through [EMAIL PROTECTED] will show up as an absolute path in the dvi, whih
> _may_ be a problem. Files found through TEXINPUTS appear as relative
> paths.

I believe that this hack is not needed anymore, at least not for the
graphics inset. But Helges example shows that it could be useful for other
reasons.

> I have been against modifying TEXINPUTS for a long time because it is
> difficult to do in a portable way. However, I begin to wonder whether
> it would be a better alternative.

What is difficult: Setting the environment variable, or determine its value?
I guess the latter should be doable without too much pain with the existing
path conversion routines?

> OK, now that you have explained what the complete plan is, I agree too
> that we can try to go this way.
>
> Do you want me to apply your patch now?

Not yet, I first want to check wether the html stuff works as expected. I'll
send an updated version then, including the warning message that Angus
suggested.

Georg