On Tue, Feb 24, 2004 at 10:36:08AM +0100, Lars Gullik Bjønnes wrote:
> Angus Leeming <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> | Excellent! I tried to remove the gnu make dependency myself but these
> | three had me stumped.
>
> Except that I do not think we can use it as is... the am__object_X
> stuff might AFAIK change with different versions of automake.

am__object_X is a list of *.lo files in that Makefile.
Whenever that list name changes, this name changes in the same manner,
right?  So that's not an issue.

> (and seeing how much simpler the GNU syntax is I do not really
> understand why BSD make does not support this.)

Because the chicken is older than an egg.
Or was it the other way around? :-)

I guess, because, as my equivalents show, it's not really necessary.
It's just a shorthand for .for loop.  And every added piece of syntax
complicates the parser, which introduces more bugs, blah, blah...

This is just a wild guess, I do not know really.
I just take it as a fact of life. :-)

--
Zvezdan Petkovic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://www.cs.wm.edu/~zvezdan/