John Levon wrote:

> Minipages. If I set two minipages to 50% it would be nice if they
> appeared next to each other, like they used to. That's all.

Didn't knew that (never used that myself). I don't know if I would like it
though - that too much wysiwyg at the cost of clutter editing.

> Colour me dubious about this. I think things would still be broken.

It may be, but in 1.3.x we didn't had width depending on the rowbreaking.
And this is what is giving problems now.

>> So what is your ideal_width? What kind of heuristic optimization does it?
>> For instance, given the following, where the size of the inset [I] is yet
>> to be decided, what does ideal_width return? (suppose of course that it's
>> *not* a full row inset; nowadays full row insets are only displayed math
>> and tables IIRC; it's simply a "natural width" inset as all
>> insettext-derived ones in today's setup)
>>
>>      blah blah blah [I] blah
>> blah blah blah blah blah bla
>
> I don't understand your example. Row breaking is done in left-to-right,
> top-to-bottom manner, how could the above ever have an unknown width ?

Well soppose [I] is an inset full of text (i.e. the figure above corresponds
to the collapsed case). Then in your proposal its width depend of its
internal text + maxwidth + remainig_row_width, right? How, exactly?

>> The only real problem I see with the current implementation is the inset
>> placement in the first position of the first indented line of a
>> paragraph. It is probably easy IMHO to find a quick solution for that
>> without changing the overall scheme...
>
> This seems really silly. Andre chose to go down the path of rewriting
> lyx so things could be done right this time, and you want to re-add some
> curious hack?

Well let's put it this way. You are discussing implementation for some
reason, I'm discussing desired behaviour. I don't know why you assume that
the desired behaviour is obvious in some way and you don't even care to
describe it.

> What about indentation due to bullets ? Ever placed a fullrow inset on a
> bullet line (in 1.3 or 1.4, it goes wrong).

Can you describe the problem better? I don't see anything unusual with a
note for instance.

>> [for instance, a "solution" that would work reasonably well in most
>> [(all?)
>> cases is to add this 'special casing': a single char on a row, if it's
>> wider than the avail width the we could draw it without using the row
>> indent: it's anyways better than what we do now: to make it exceed to the
>> right]
>
> This sort of thing is what helped make lyx unmaintainable in the first
> place IMHO.

I sort of knew you would say that ;-). And I still don't understand your
solution to the problem.

Alfredo