Andre Poenitz wrote:

> It is good enough if we are happy with input iterator semantics. No '--'

[forward iterator semantics would be more applicable here].

> there. For backwards iteration we could just use another iterator class.

Yes, but why? We give up bidi iterator semantics for no reason.

> In fact, the only place where we seem to need iteration backwards is in
> 'search backwards' and there we've always a suitable 'valid' start.

We may (circumstantially) have no need now... but it would be so easy to
comply with bidi iterators requirements (at virtually no cost)...

[if you insist with the 'empty stack' past-the-end, we could just add an
inset * member and use that on operator-- (and possibly even operator++)
for an empty stack. Then the past-the-end (and possibly also before-start)
position would be DocumentIterator(inset)]

PS: OT, should I rename iterators.[Ch] to pariterator.[Ch] to make things
more uniform?

Alfredo