On Wed, Apr 07, 2004 at 09:32:42AM +0100, Angus Leeming wrote:
> Using --enable-maintainer-mode I find that (as happened yesterday?)
> typing 'make' causes autogen.sh and configure to be re-run. Fine. The
> strangeness, however, is that the order of directory traversal is
> something like:
>
> intl
> boost
> src
>
> Entering src leads to config.h being rebuilt, the upshot of which is
> that a subsequent invocation of make will lead to the code in intl
> and boost being re-built.
>
> At least, that's my reading of the situation and seems to be backed up
> by experience too.

Btw, is there a method to use the autotools and yet get a 'flat'
Makefile (i.e.  just a toplevel Makefile with possible inclusion of
other Makefiles but no recursive calls to make)?

I've seen to projects with 'manual' Makefiles converted to the flat
scheme and the usual almost-nothing-to-do build was _much_ faster
afterwards (>1min -> 5s or similar).

Andre'