Amitabh Trehaan wrote:

> Hi,
>  We are starting a project to add Indian language support, starting
>  with
> devanagari to LyX. LaTeX has a package called devnag for devanagari
> output. There are some hindi fonts in X also. The idea is to give
> powerful publishing support to devanagari publication for a LaTeX
> beginner. At present, devnag is input in English through a
> transliteration scheme.
>  How does one go about it? Any pitfalls?
>

> Amitabh Trehaan

Hello, Amitabh

The main point to note about lyx is that it is not yet unicode
aware. This may make your life a little complicated. Furthermore,
there is no support within 'official' lyx for non-western input
methods.

That said, ChangGil Han has modified lyx for Chinese, Japanese and
Korean users. The patch basically replaces data stored in chars with
wchar_t and enables the user to use one of the normal CJK input
methods. Have a look at http://www.lyx.org/news.php3 for some contact
details. It may well be that he has all the expertise that you're
looking for. The rest of us are pretty ignorant of such things.
(Speaking mainly for myself but I don't remember any one else
offereing CG much help when he did the port...)

I believe that the general lyx plan is to use unicode internally and
to then merge ChangGil's patch into the official lyx sources. This
second step will probably be trivial once the first is achieved.

Is any of this info useful?

--
Angus