Angus Leeming <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

< > Alternative A)
< > Leave the xfig file where it is and force all converters to
< > understand a '-d' flag for the output directory.
<
< Nope. Bad idea for all sorts of reasons. The main one being that you
< are using the directory in which your important files are as a temp
< directory in which you process these files. We have an extremely
< powerful and successful mechanism to avoid this and it WORKS.

I might have not said explicitly, but the converters would be allowed
to _only_ write into the '-d' directory.
If some program like latex is to dumb to do this, a wrapper has to
copy the original and all needed files to this directory.

Hm, I think my proposal just boils down to putting the
working mechanism into the converter scripts.

Now you will be telling me why _that_ is not feasible ;-)

/Andreas