Andre Poenitz wrote:

> I think we should try to make an effort to get 1.4.0cvs into a state
> where we could ask adventurous users to try it out.
>
> Right now, we've plenty of crashes, so this seems to be impossible.
> However, most of the current crashes are the direct response to an
> assert, so they are somehow home made. Of course I understand that an
> assert is there to be fixed in case it fires, but it somehow does not
> look like this will happen in finite time. Moreover, in most places,
> working around the faulty condition is possible in a way that leads
> in the worst case to aborting the current operation but does not crash
> the whole of lyx.
>
> That's why I propose changing some/most/all asserts to something less
> brutish, i.e. an exception carrying the same information as the assert
> that will be caught in the main loop (i.e. the outermost dispatch or
> even in the frontends).
>
> Opinions?

Mmm.. I think this is a bit too early. Right now it's too easy to find bugs
and crashes, I don't see the usefulness of having adventurous users
testing... nor the list flooded with backtraces...
What we need is more code-fixers (btw, from a brief read of the list, I got
the impression that JM has been diving in the coordinate business (!)).

I'm compiling your coordinates rewrite patch, and I'll try to work a bit on
it in the next few days.

Alfredo, phd for almost a day ;-)