John Weiss wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 22, 2004 at 09:59:40PM +0100, Angus Leeming wrote:
>> The attached patch enables us to move XFig files to the temp directory
>> and continue to generate DVI files, etc that show any included picture
>> files.
>
> Question:
>
> Why move the files?  Will LaTeX not respect symlinks?
>
> (Moving ... as in copying ... a file to a work directory just strikes
> me as wasteful and prone to synchronization errors (have to check
> which is newer, the true copy or the working copy).  Is there some
> problem with using a symlink?)

LyX works on Windoze machines now too...

The primary advantage of copying everything to the temp directory is that
your real, working directory is not polluted with the crud from the
conversion process.

The scheme we have in place now is *really* robust. Georg has worked
wonders with all this. As an example, DVI files (which contain references
to eps files) are now truly relocatable. That's almost impossible to
achieve when the eps files have to be generated on the fly from some other
format.

--
Angus