On Tue, Nov 09, 2004 at 04:05:28PM +0100, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:

> José>   Notice that we can remove the support for obsolete layouts
> José> from the textclass and pass them to lyx2lyx. Even use a user
> José> defined file to do this convertion. What do you think?
>
> I know, but I am ambivalent about that. I like the fact that somebody
> outside of the LyX team can distribute a layout file and have a way to
> deprecate layouts. Such layout files exist in the beamer class, for
> example. The ObsoletedBy system is pretty simple and is actually
> useful.

  Yes, but that was clearly a hack for those times before lyx2lyx.

> Moreover, using lyx2lyx to do this conversion only works if you can
> tie some version of a layout file to some version of LyX. This does
> not hold for layout files distributed outside of LyX.

  Who said so? ;-)

  Clearly if I implement this feature it will have a lot more flexibility
than that. Including conditional convertions depending on the version
available is too easy to do.

  Also it would allow more inteligent convertions than simply replacing one
layout name by another.

--
José Abílio Matos
LyX and docbook a perfect match. :-)