Edwin Leuven wrote:

> Angus Leeming wrote:
>> Certainly, using it
>> goes against the spirit of Open Source software and we have chosen,
>> therefore, not to provide formal support for Ruurd's port.
>
> I find this statement hypocritical given the exception in LyX's license
> for xforms which goes against the spirit of OS as well.
>
> (and in the same way as linking to qt-win32 IMO...)
>
> regards, ed.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion of course.

Here, 'formal support' means merging changes made by Ruurd to get LyX to
compile with the half-baked compiler (Borland) that was used to compile
the qt/win32 library provided by Trolltech. Hypocritical or not, that is
never going to happen for reasons other than licencing religion.

Personally, I would be very happy if "The LyX Team" announced that all code
contributed to LyX 1.4.x and after was subject to the pure GPL. I
understand that such a hardening of the licence is indeed possible, but
IANAL.

Just my two cents.

--
Angus