On Fri, Dec 03, 2004 at 06:00:38PM -0500, candide wrote:
> No, the only three real problems with branches are:
>
> - Unfamiliarity with them, possibly combined with fear of them.

I have worked with them although I am afraid of them. I was no happy and
I don't see the benefits outweighting the costs.

> - Laziness and/or sloppiness.

Sure, but these a two of the virtues of a good programmer. Only lazy
people think hard about modularization and code reuse because they are
afraid of doiung the same work twice.

> - Active development on the same piece of code at the same time by 2
>   or more people.

Unfortuanately that's the situation we have.

> You can mitigate the latter by:
>
> a) Becoming Main Owner and Proprietor of the branch.

And what good does that? There are still four or five people touching
the same code at the same time. Look at what happened to the tabular
code during the last four weeks. priv_dispatch, coords, lyx2lyx,
indices, regression fixing. All in one file.

> b) Applying patches when Lars does.

Huh?

>    (Only needed for patches affecting code you're working on.
>     Otherwise, just Merge Early and Often.)

Lars's patches tend to touch lots of files, so you most certainly get
lots of conflicts if you are not close to HEAD and have similar patches
in the queue.

> And while you may fall into the first category, I doubt you, a core
> LyX Developer, fall into the second!  :)

Huh again. I don't see the point.

Andre'