Angus> So, {\def\typeout#1#2{\global\def\mesg{#1}}\the\everyjob} would
Angus> mean you were interested in the third typeout?

No, there are two \typeout, each with one argument. \merg is defined
twice, and the last definition is the one that remains.

Angus> I'm reminded of how I used to feel when my father explained my
Angus> maths homework to me. I sort of see how it works, but if you
Angus> were to ask me to do it myself, you'd find me creeping back
Angus> into the room to grab the scrumpled up notes from the waste
Angus> paper basket...

It is like when you try to make me understand sed loops...