On Mon, Jan 03, 2005 at 01:08:32PM -0800, Kayvan A. Sylvan wrote:
> Hmmm... Yes, that can happen. I route around such problems though.
> For example: The Acrobat reader program needs dos paths. So, I use
> the following shell script (as /usr/local/bin/acroread):
>
>     #!/bin/sh
>
>     if [ $# -eq 1 ]
>     then
>         FILE=`cygpath -a -w "$1"`
>     else
>         FILE=''
>     fi
>
>     exec acroread.link "$FILE"

This is the Canonically-Correct way of handling programs that require
DOS pathnames while working under Cygwin programs.  To whit:

- You have some program that only knows DOS pathnames
- You want to call said program from an interactive Cygwin shell, or
  from a Cygwin-based program.
- So, you write something like this wrapper:

    #!/bin/sh
    CMD="/cygwin/abspath/to/the/real/program"

    exe $CMD `cygpath -aw "$@"`

Easy.

So, for Cygwin, we can just provide these wrappers and call them by
default instead.

--
John Weiss