Georg> An alternative that is also sensible IMHO is to create the
Georg> normal output and let latex export fail if the file is missing.
Georg> Normally this means that something is wrong, and if somebody
Georg> includes a graphic without actually having the file on purpose
Georg> he could as well put this inside a comment box. I did run into
Georg> this situation several times already when I copied the document
Georg> and forgot to copy the figures. If the latex export would fail
Georg> one could detect such situations more easily.

Indeed. Moreover, it is possible to insert errors in the error
browser, so that people can have a look at them.