Hi Luke,

Luke> I might have left some things out, but initial testing seems to
Luke> show that it works good enough for a paper that includes a
Luke> varied mix of environments.

Is this the working one? You sent another message later about
babel-related problems...

Luke> One aspect that is lacking in both IEEETran.layout and therefore
Luke> the layout that I made is multiple author affiliations. I am not
Luke> sure how to do this correctly in the layout or if it is even
Luke> supported by LyX. Currently I just use a free "TeX" LyX
Luke> environment to embed the correct code to make things work in the
Luke> case of multiple affiliations.

What does the code look like?

Luke> Almost forgot to attach the layout. Feel free to modify/whatever
Luke> this layout as it is just a modification of the LyX team's file,
Luke> and please if you have any suggestions for improvement, let me
Luke> know.

A few remarks:

- the cls file says that on 9pt size is possible. You should change
  the size options to reflect that, probably

- the package includes amsmath.sty. Add
  ProvidesAmsMaths 1
somewhere at the beginning ot the layout file.

- regarding the comment about non numeric numbering for sections being
  available in LyX 2.0: hopefully it will work in 1.4.0 :)

Luke> As far as the LyX devs are concerned, please considering
Luke> including this or some other implemenation of an ACM layout in
Luke> the default LyX distro.

I would be glad to incude this in LyX. I will need a small entry for
LaTeXConfig.lyx.in (look in the file to see how layout files are
described) and, even better, a little documentation for Extended.lyx.

Luke> Also, why aren't IEEETran.cls, elsart.cls, and other class files
Luke> included with the default distro? If their layouts are included
Luke> by default, then their class files should also be included, in
Luke> my opinion.

We try to avoid distributing such things, since this is asking for
trouble. Basically, LyX supports the latex installation that people
have.