Jean-Marc> It seems to work well enough. I moved the counter code to
Jean-Marc> buffer_funcs.C, since it does not relate to LyXText at all
Jean-Marc> now.

Jean-Marc> Lars, this is the patch I would like to apply. OK?

I applied it now. Note that I did a bit of gprof experiments and I
could not find anything obvious to optimize (well I could get a few
percents here and there, but this is not urgent).

Note that DocIterator::forwardInset could use a similar treatment as
forwardPar, since it is used by the preview code. I am not sure the
cost is high vs. the time needed to actually generate the previews.