On Sat, Apr 09, 2005 at 10:35:53AM +0200, Andre Poenitz wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 03:30:25PM +0200, Helge Hafting wrote:
> > The general problem: where should the selected stuff go, if the user
> > applies something that have more than one input box?
> > For a fraction, the stuff goes on top which is ok.  For a
> > n-root it goes into the n-part, which is less useful.
>
> 'Auto mobing cell contents' always moves the selected stuff into the
> first cell of a MathNestInset, which is the '3' part in a cube root.
>
> > People usually have lots of text under the root sign and a single
> > numeral (or letter) as "n", so "under the sign" is the most useful
> > place to autopaste.  For the cube root special case the user don't
> > think of the "3" as editable at all.
>
> I did not know we had a cube root special case anywhere at all. Is this
> the Qt-frontend?

Yes.

> If so, I'd rather (a) drop that special case or (b) provide a special
> cube-root-inset, but not modify the general MathInset code in any way.
> When I think about it, I prefer (a). I've never used cube roots to
> a degree rectifying any special handling over an nth root.

The problem is mostly the same if applying the n-root, one expect
the selection to go under the root, not above it. So perhaps
the n-root ought to be a little special?  It'd be consistent
with the square root.

Dropping the cube root is fine with me, but doesn't fix the problem.
Perhaps people don't use n-roots that much either, but getting
a selection into the n-part of the n-root is a feature
of very little use. :-)

> > One can also mark 3+4 inside 1+2+3+4+5 and press superscript or
> > subscript. The resulting 3+4 raised to some power is a bit confusing,
> > mathematically it just looks like 3 alone plus 4 raised to some power,
> > but mathed-wise it is (3+4)^  without the parentheses.
>
> This is more or less intentional even if it has the possibility of being
> misused. But then, this 'feature' is available in TeX and I do not
> want to have any kind of automatic operator precedence handling in
> mathed (except in the CAS code) the will add fragility and failures in
> corner cases.
>
> If you create a superscripted 3+4 you get one because you asked for it.
> It's as simple as that.

Ok.  Lyx is not a computer math system after all.

Helge Hafting