On Fri, Apr 22, 2005 at 01:57:46PM -0400, Rob Bearman wrote:

> By the way, I think the converter dialog is suboptimal UI. To add a
> converter, I have to select an existing one and edit it, pressing the
> Add button only at the end of the process. Because of this intuitively
> backwards approach, the Add button is initially greyed, making the user

I think this has been fixed recently.

> Another example of confusing UI is the Change Text Style dialog. There
> are "Never Toggled" and "Always Toggled" dropdowns, and a "Toggle All"
> checkbox. On an apparently separate axis, there's an Apply button and an
> "Apply changes immediately" checkbox. It may all be tied into useful
> semantics, but it's confusing to a user trying to figure out what it all
> means. In any case, the dialog design does not allow at least a
> Windows/Mac user to apply what they know or are familiar with regarding
> applying text styles.

Yes, it's a mess. When/if we have proper text styles, all this will go
away.

> Without making a study of the LyX dialogs, I have to say my casual
> impression of various dialog or modal UI contains much of this
> suppress-what-I-know, learn-the-LyX-way. That's strictly from a Windows
> and somewhat Mac UI perspective, for what it's worth. I probably should

Detailed criticism of issues is much appreciated, but general comments
don't help much. A lot of work has been done over recent years to
improve the dialogs but we're well aware a lot more is needed.

regards,
john