On Sun, May 15, 2005 at 10:01:59AM +0100, John Levon wrote:
> On Sat, May 14, 2005 at 09:01:37PM +0200, Andre Poenitz wrote:
>
> > The GUI-I investment has already payed off by separating GUI and core.
> > Right now and in a foreseeable future, it will be a burden. A big one.
>
> I see no evidence of this. When has it been a burden since Angus did the
> dialogs nicely?

Agree... I don't think GUI-I itself is a burden. Rather, it is something
we should be doing anyway, but having to accomodate more than one
front end forces the issue. Of course every front end brings its own
overhead, especially if one wants to use its special features. But that
should be accounted to those features then.

Basically it's down to finding someone signing up to do the extra work
to have a LyX that fits in a little better with a given desktop
environment. In the case of gtk, one person did already most of this
work all on his own, not burdening the other developers. After that,
_maintaining_ it will be relatively minor. As for xforms, it is dropped
for reasons of obsolescence rather than workload, as Angus explained.

- Martin