On Mon, May 16, 2005 at 04:36:21PM +0200, Michael Schmitt wrote:

> Please check the patch carefully (John L.?) and commit it. Regarding the
> use of "...", please note the following excerpt from the GNOME human
> interface guidelines:
>
>  "Label the menu item with a trailing ellipsis ("...") only if the
> command requires further input from the user before
> it can be performed. Do not add an ellipsis to items that only present a
> confirmation dialog (such as Delete),
> or that do not require further input (such as Properties, Preferences or
> About)."

Unfortunately, I was over-ruled (by jmarc iirc) regarding the
interpretation of this. In particular, in LyX ellipses mean "this will
bring up a dialog". I abide by the judge's decision :)

So your changes that alter this are "wrong".

> - IMHO it was a mistake to remove the good old "Layout" menu. MS Word
> and OO users are used to it. Why do we want LyX to be different from
> virtually all other word processors?

My rationale for the new menu design was given in detail over several
posts at the time. I see little merit in rehashing these arguments, we
had a rough consensus on the changes (and running code).

> - Keeping stdmenus.ui and classic.ui in sync is a big nuisance. Both
> ui's should support the full range of LyX features. (Even with my
> changes, classic.ui still lacks some math environments and does not
> support branches). I suggest removing classic.ui.

This isn't appropriate for 1.4. I would, however, suggest not putting as
much effort into cleaning up classic.ui, beyond fixing the macros to
actually work.

regards,
john