Hi Andre,
On Jun 13, 2005, at 9:27 PM, Andre Poenitz wrote:

On Mon, Jun 13, 2005 at 07:42:15PM +0200, Stefan Kostner wrote:
Stefan Kostner wrote:
This means that the filenames of the eps files can be extremely long
causing tools like dvips to crash with either segfault or
for instance "dvips: ! out of string space".

Looks like a fundamental limitation. We don't add characters to the
path,
just replace them. If your path has more than PATH_MAX characters,
you've
lucked out.

So, why not using other filenames. Since those files are only of
temporary nature they could just be numberd, or a combination of
numbers and the real filename (without the full path), or only a
relative paths...?

The idea was to leave the user with some information were things came
from in case anything went wrong. Just having an error message
'lyxtmp133241.pdf corrupt' is not very helpful.

That's a good point, but still I think that skipping the full path and keeping the filename only would be a good option. In this case the information about the files being processed is still there but the filenames are shorter. It would also help to use the relative path between document and images instead of the full path. Then there is also no way to mix up same filenames included from different directories while keeping the full information.

regards,
stefan