On 28.06.05, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:

> G> Actually, it would be nice, if the name (menu entry string) could
> G> be given in the layout file as argument for OptionalArgs. With this
> G> scheme, the lines
>
> G> Style Closing OptionalArgs "Alternative Signature"
>
> G> would enable Insert>Alternative Signature.
>
> G> (Just an idea, however, I could imagine that this is too
> G> complicated to implement.)
>
> This would not be so difficult to implement [*], but I am worried that we
> implement too many of these ad-hoc solutions. Moreover, the UI may be
> too surprising for users: having a menu entry that changes completely
> depending on the current layout is not very good IMO. I think that in
> the long term we should have something available through paragraph
> properties, but I am not sure how.

Putting the optional-args definition into the Format>Paragraph dialog
sounds reasonable. It is quite similar to setting lines and spaces and
margins, so I would expect it there (but see my suggestion below).

Another problem:
----------------

Just now, looking at the document (in LyX) doesnot give any clue whether
there is an short-title (or any other optional arg) defined.

Idea: Keep OptionalArgs in the menu as "Insert>Optional Argument", but give
visual feedback. I' suggest a fold-box (similar to footnote) with the label
defined in the layout file (as value of the OptionalArgs tag, defaulting to
"Optional Argument").

This would be:

   generic: usable for all kinds of optional arguments, not only
      alternative text.

   transparent: the box will clearly indicate the presence of an optional
      argument, the label will show its nature, opening will show in one
      click its content.

   consistent: the scheme would work similar to footnotes, margin-notes,
   and notes. Using an established GUI element (and "Insert" as common
   place to insert it) helps the users and makes LyX looking consistent.

> [*] there is a bit of work to be done to be sure that multiple optargs
> (allowed in 1.4.0cvs) wirk and get different names, though.

In the case of multiple optargs

   should Insert>Optional_Argument either open a pop-up menu or a small
   dialog window with a list of labels to choose from.

   Ordering of the boxes should be free (in the lyx file). The LyX's
   "Latex Writer" should sort the arguments in the order they are defined
   in the layout file.

Günter

--
G.Milde web.de