On Wednesday 06 July 2005 16:35, Angus Leeming wrote:
> Jose' Matos wrote:
>
> Don't you want to try and convert your .lyx files to the latest format
> and to then convert them back to format 221?

  No. :-)

  The only files where I would like to do that are post 1.3.x files, those
are the files where we said we will support file format reversion.

>   tmp=lyx2lyxtmp.$$
>   for i in `locate lyx | grep '\.lyx$'`
>   do
>     test ./lyx2lyx "$i" > "$tmp" 2>/dev/null || {
>       echo "$i"
>     } && {
>       test ./lyx2lyx --to 221 "$tmp" > /dev/null 2>&1 || echo "$i"
>     }
>     rm -f "$tmp"
>   done

  Clearly we do have different expectations regarding lyx2lyx, you want to
know the files where it works, I want to know those where lyx2lyx
fails. ;-)

  That is why I have removed "test" from the script above. I am right now
testing it and I will look into the outcome searching for possible bugs.

  I must say that the idea is interesting, to create a framework to test
lyx2lyx against different files. We could test to see if they exist, if
they are not empty and even if they are regular files. Hmmm, maybe later...

> Really, you need some way to test that lyx is happy with the resulting
> file. How about trying to export the resulting .lyx file to latex:
>    lyx --export latex "$tmp" || echo "lyx --export latex $i"

  In sense that is not lyx2lyx business, lyx2lyx only cares about legal lyx
files. And as you know we can have a legal lyx file and yet it could not
compile. That is why this has not ever been one of lyx2lyx aims.

  Clearly if there are any bugs here from lyx2lyx we should fix them, but
this is not something I intend to seek systematically.

PS: Even today being Friday I should say thank you for your interest. :-)
--
José Abílio