Martin Vermeer wrote:

On Thu, 2005-09-22 at 03:26 +0300, Martin Vermeer wrote:

I also noted that metrics is called twice for every keystroke. Surely one of
those isn't necessary.

Sounds reasonable? Please test. Is it faster, or is it my imagination?

Here is a better patch, taking care of rowpainter too. metrics is still
called twice, but now (generally) only for the current paragraph, not
the whole screen. Ought to be faster.
I saw no side effects.
The patch seems to have no ill effects.  It seems to improve things
on my linux pc, but:

My pathological 125k test paragraph is a paint to edit, with or without
the patch.  I haven't tested at the end, because attempts to scroll
there is no fun either.  Of course nobody should write such paragraphs . . .

My 45k test text with lots of small paragrahps have ok performance
either way.  Still, I hope performance patches like this goes in. Many
machines are weaker the one I tested on.

Helge Hafting